[Spring2019] Start a Student Chapter to Develop the Future Leaders in Biophysics

Borries Demeler demeler at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 17:59:58 MST 2019

To all Biophysics students at the University of Montana and the
University of Lethbridge:

The message below was sent by the The Biophysical Society (BPS), inviting
interested Biophysics students to form a chapter. You would be eligible
for $200 startup costs/chapter. You could probably stretch this into
$600 if you create one chapter in Lethbridge, one in Missoula, and then
another regional chapter to unite U of M and U of L, and perhaps some
other Universities in this region (U of Calgary, U of Alberta in Edmonton,
Montana State). I'll chip in another $100 for the Lethbridge chapter, and
another $100 for the regional chapter, if you guys are successful to be granted
chapter status. I'll also provide server space if you guys want to set
up a website. Maybe my colleagues in Missoula also want to pitch in.

If you want to set up a biophysics student chapter, read on below...

Cheers, -Borries

The future of biophysics relies on the next generation. Would you like to help grow student involvement in biophysics and develop the future leaders of the field?  Is there a biophysics club at your institution or an interest in getting one started? The Biophysical Society (BPS) would like to support the development or enhancement of a club at your institution through the BPS Student Chapter Program.

This program aims to build active student chapters around the globe, increase student representation and participation within the Society, and promote biophysics as a discipline across college campuses through activities organized by local chapters. Chapters may be formed within a single institution, or regional chapters may be developed between multiple institutions. Approved chapters will receive $200 in reimbursable expenses to assist with getting started, along with upcoming special opportunities for chapter officers and members at future Biophysical Society meetings.

Visit the student chapter website<http://lists.biophysics.org:81/t/42739/19788554/1647/6/> for more information and a complete list of instructions on forming a chapter<http://lists.biophysics.org:81/t/42739/19788554/1838/7/>.

Potential chapters can apply by May 1 for recognition beginning in the fall of 2019. Don’t miss this opportunity to help energize and support the next generation of biophysicists. Please share this opportunity with the students in your department and by becoming a chapter sponsor on your campus.

Please contact me with any questions you may have about the student chapter program.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Vuong
Director, Marketing, Communications, and Outreach
Biophysical Society
5515 Security Lane, Suite 1110
Rockville, MD  20852
evuong at biophysic.org<mailto:evuong at biophysic.org>